Metformin is assumed to be the first-line tablet for the conduct of type 2 diabetes. It is chiefly advised to diabetic people. In addition to treating diabetes, it is highly effective in treating polycystic ovary syndrome. It is taken orally and is not useful in weight management. It is regarded as insulin sensitizer, which makes the cells in the body more approachable to insulin.
In patients with type-2 diabetes, the body develops the tendency of producing more blood sugar which is generally considered thrice of the normal blood sugar secreted by the liver. Metformin reduces blood sugar levels in patients with type-2 diabetes by acting upon the glucose released by the liver into the blood.
But as far as metformin consumption is concerned, the medical experts’ view is divided into two halves due to some of the associated side effects of it. Let us have an insight into the harmful impacts of metformin and the possible alternatives to it.
Side effects of metformin
Metformin is an extensively used anti-diabetic drug across the world. Its intake leads to worsening of sleep where the sleep of the patient gets reduced or there is interrupted sleep commonly. Sleep disorder is accompanied by various other health issues which ultimately lead to fatigue, depression, stress, etc.
Vitamin B12 deficiency
Consumption of metformin for longer duration causes vitamin B12 deficiency, which eventually leads to anaemia and excessive weight loss.
Lactic acidosis is the severe side effect caused by metformin tablets. In this situation, the body releases high lactic acid, which eventually results in the lessening of oxygen in the blood. Dehydration of lactic and intake of a large amount of alcohol can cause lactic acidosis.
Metformin goes on to exacerbate the state of lactic acidosis in the body. Have a look at the symptoms of it:
- Troubled breathing- the patient experiences heaviness in breathing with breathlessness acutely in leading a normal life
- Pain in muscles– the patient observes mild pain in muscles which could also become unbearable with time
- Deadness in the arms and legs- arms and legs of the body become too heavy to move
- Pain in stomach- a patient who has been taking metformin for really long period may experience pain in stomach from time to time
- Feeling of weakness or dizziness- the patient feels weakness throughout without any physical exertion
- Irregular heart rate- high pulse rate and irregular heart rate is common side effect of it
- Queasiness with vomiting
- Metformin amplifies the risk of kidney issues and results in tedious situation called lactic acidosis in kidney patients taking metformin
- Reduces appetite
- Patient taking metformin may have to face issues like heart-burn and inflammation
- Hives are the outcome associated with the regular intake of metformin
- Swelling in the mucous membrane
Other than the above side effects, abdominal pain, vomit sensation, diarrhoea, etc. are almost accompanied with the intake of metformin.
Who should stop its consumption without any ambiguity?
There are many categories of people that should immediately stop the consumption of metformin or else they may face health disorders sooner or later.
- Pregnant women
- Feeding mothers
- Patients with liver illness
- Adults above the age of 80 years
- Kids below the age of 10 years
Fenfuro is the best supplement for managing the impact of type-2 diabetes. It offers no known side effects along with giving maximum health benefits and management of diabetes. Lead a normal life with patented and clinically evaluated Fenfuro.